I bought 4 'NEW' Michelin Cross Terraine tires plus the 'warranty' for a total of $841.91 from Tires Plus June 2004. At the time I, like millions of others, was unaware that you can find out when the tire was actually made by looking at the DOT# on the tire wall which gives the week and year the tire was manufactured.

The long and short of this story is that I was sold 2 tires that were already 3 years old, 2 tires there were one year in age at the same full price, and was told by 'Howard' in Jacksonville Florida (district manager) that they are allowed to sell tires up to 5 years old to consumers. The NHTSA recommends that tires be replaced that range in age of 6-10 years of age. So, you can buy tires that are already 5 years old and get only 1-5 years of actual wear if you go by the Highway Safety Administration's guidelines. They additionally recommend that it also depends upon the make, model, mileage, etc.

of the tire if you can expect to get as many as 10 years. Tires Plus will only offer you the difference between what the tread wear is and the actual mileage you have on the tires towards 'new' tires (whatever the age really is you would have to check again). And so basically they offer you nothing. My car's tires had only 29K miles on them and yet the tires are 8 years old, the car is 7 years old, and I bought them 5 years ago.

I asked Howard if he would (since he's in the business and knows this information) if he would knowingly buy 3 or even the 5 year old tire and not only put them on his own car but also pay FULL price (like we the consumer is forced too). His only response was to state that he could say the same thing about what I do for a living (not knowing what my career is).

And to that end, I am a Realtor and in no way have I ever met a buyer who goes into a transaction knowing how old the house is that expects to pay the same for a 3-5 year old house that they would pay for a house next door that was built in 2009! I hope that everyone reads this if for no other reason than to be aware of the age of a tire at the time you're in the tire store so you can make a better decision as to whether you're going to pay the same price for a 5 year old tire that's been sitting around in a HOT warehouse or if you would rather be smarter and buy a truely NEW tire for the same price!

Comments

To Ba Ba Buey and Darrel, if you cannot make objective, or otherwise give 'mature' meaningful/helpful advise, then you should keep your immature behavior to yourself and not blog on a web site where consumers are looking for support/advise that will be useful! I'm quite certain that you are NOT an expert on 'ALL THINGS', and should not be so condescending and immature.

P.S. Ba Ba, I can assure you that 'fatso' I am NOT!!!

Now to Rubin. Thank you :)for your insite! However, I had to replace the tires.

They were wearing unevenly and in hot Florida it does make a difference. They truly did not perform the way that they should have. I've had many sets of tires throughout my life and these turned out to not be the best choice.

I did ensure that these were not made 3 years prior and kept inside a hot warehouse somewhere, which can cause them to deteriorate/dry rot, making them less worth top dollar to any consumer. It makes me feel better about my safety as well as the large financial decision, considering these tires are not cheap!

Since those tires were sitting on a rack inside and not outside on a car, I'd say you would have the maximum limit of 5 years -- not the minimum limit of 1 year.

If you drive 15,000 miles per year, then you would have 60,000 miles in 4 years. Chances that any tire would last 5 years is slim (unless you rarely drive your car and mostly keep it parked in your driveway).

Bottom line is, it's still a good tire eventhough it's been on the shelf for 3 years and you're not going to notice any difference.

Ba Ba Buey you apparently 'posted' to the wrong blog! So that might make YOU the ***!

You are an ***. They're tires, not doughnuts. Fatso!