Cedar Springs, Michigan

I purchased 4 new tires for my 2005 Cadillac STS some months ago. Their are two different tire sizes that are required i.e different sizes for front and rear. At the time I also purchased the road hazard package which includes rotation, balance, etc. in addition to lifetime alignment. Every 5k miles I brought the vehicle in for an oil change with the instruction to check the alignment; never assuming that I also had to instruct the technician to balance the tires.

After approx. 20k miles on the new tires I began to hear significant road noise. I took the car in to the local Tires Plus store and discovered the front tires were beginning to "cup". I asked to have the alignment checked and inquired as to whether they had been balancing the tires previously. I was told no because I hadn't given those instructions. My reply was that I never left instructions to "up-sell" me on other services but the store management hadn't been reluctant to do so. It seems to me that your store would maintain a history and perform a simple tire balance as a routine part of alignments and tire checks.

As a result of this exchange I decided to seek replacement tires elsewhere and discovered that the Tires Plus technicians had originally installed the tires I purchased incorrectly. That is, they installed the larger size tires on the front and smaller on the back...opposite to the manufacturer's specifications. I have returned for oil changes and alignment five subsequent times and the mix up with the tires was never noticed.

After I brought this to the attention of the store manager, he offered to replace the two tires that were ruined. That promise was made three weeks ago and I still have not received any new tires. Even if I get the new tires, I'll have one new set and one set that will need replacing in a few thousand miles.

In addition to the tire fiasco, I've been advised to have replacement parts installed that when I checked with other auto technicians, discovered were not needed.

Regardless of how your company handles my tire problem, you have soured a previously good customer. Your store's reputation is suspect in my view and I will not hesitate to inform others of my feelings

Review about: Tires Plus Part Replacement.

Comments

An alignment does not automatically include balancing. If that's what you want, you have to tell them that.

Tires don't keep their balance. Over time, the balance goes off.

The tires being out of balance was probably want caused the cupping. Play in the steering/suspension components can also cause cupping, but I don't think that's the case because that would have been caught during the pre-alignment inspection.

Hours ago, my tires cannted outward. I just had new rear tires placed onto my car at my local tires plus.

I immediately heard noises while driving. I chose to wait until Monday (yesterday) to take my vehicle back in to see if they had aligned it (or even properly done so). A few hours ago, Monday afternoon, before I could even call them, I pulled over because the noise became so bad. The tire was canted outward a frame connected to the wheel was broken in two!

I also found bad charges on my bill, such as tire disposal even though I instructed to keep my old tire and I still have it! I am trying to make sure they are responsible before I take action tomorrow, but there are too many indicators pointing to faulty maintenance from tire plus.

your caddy comes with only one tire size not two differant sizes. alignments do not include a wheel balance as routine.

you must ask.

a closed mouth don't get feed. :cry

Thanks for alerting us. We’d like the opportunity to make things right!

Kindly call 1-800-440-4167 so we can help. Thank you!

Sounds like a mis-communication problem. If you are not 100% sure of something, ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS!

After all, it's YOUR car, not theirs, how are they supposed to know what you want or do not want done to it?

As far as questioning recommended repairs, also ask questions why they were recommended etc.

Different shops, a mom and pop garage- a dealership- and a corporate chain all have different systems to recommend repairs. Mom and pop shop might not do preventive maintenance, for example.