Tire's Plus is a bunch of thieves.I have taken my car there for years.

I had a loud noise in the car, took it in and they called and said the catalyc converter was rusted out. It would be $700 to replace. I was really upset, having some serious money problems right now but felt I had no choice and needed the car fixed. I pick it up and the bill is huge, I fought with them until they got it down to what was quoted.

After that I told someone about it and they said that the catalyc converter was no longer required and all they had to do was take it out.It would have saved me $100's!

I am so pissed.

Review about: Tires Plus Repair.

Had an Experience with Tires Plus?

Comments

#431938

You've been misinformed. It's illegal to remove a converter.

Is the last reply really from the Tires Plus coporate office? If so, then this person needs to have an expert proof read his comments before posting them.

The following sentence is false:

"Without a catalytic converter you will also lose horse power because the oxygen sensor will tell the computer that the exhaust is too rich and the computer will cut the injectors back."

The presence or absence of a catalytic converter will not in anyway cause the primary oxygen sensor to send a "rich" signal to the PCM and cause the PCM to cut back the fuel injectors.

It's true that the car might have less power, but that's because some engines require a certain amount of exhaust back pressure to run properly. The presence of the catalytic converter provides some of that back pressure.

The check engine light being on is only true for OBDII cars (96 or newer). For OBDI or non-OBD cars (95 or older) the check engine light will not come on if you remove the catalytic converter.

nikalseyn

The reply from TiresPlus is correct.If your vehicle is a keeper, get the catalytic converter replaced.

Otherwise, you will regret it down the line. If you plan on getting rid of this car then you can bypass the catalytic converter which will allow you time to dump it.

Catalytic converters have been around a long time now and are just another great thing government has done for you---like the tyre pressure gauge on new cars.And, you get to pay for all these things.

BSRO Social

I am from the Tires Plus corporate office.

If your state requires an emissions inspection, then you need a catalytic converter on your vehicle otherwise your vehicle will not pass the inspection. Driving without one when your car actually came with one (most cars), will likely cause your check engine light to always be on.

Without a catalytic converter you will also lose horse power because the Oxygen sensor will tell the computer that the exhaust is too rich and the computer will cut the injectors back.

There are other things that will likely happen should you bypass having a catalytic converter but I'll let the experts address those.

Please send me an email at social@bfrc.com if you would like to talk about what is going on with your car if if I can try to help more.

Thanks,